Inkle weaving pt 7


Last night I was zipping along after correcting several errors and it finally clicked. I had been having some weird errors that I couldn’t always figure out and I finally looked closely to find the problem. It is important to note that black is not the best color to use if it is the first time one is trying a new technique. I know this but it doesn’t stop me. The first dishcloth I knit was black, this band is black and yellow. I love the contrast those colors provide but the black does work at hiding the problems and their solutions. One of the most common mistakes I was making was to twist the black threads while picking up a yellow from the bottom layer. I am enjoying the thread but the band is thicker than I had planned. I am not sure how well these will work as suspenders on a little guy.

I had to modify the draft I found as I didn’t plan properly for the warp band colors. There were supposed to be nine pattern threads but I only used 7 because I put a yellow border to close. Final size of each band is 1.25 inches wide and 26 inches long.

All that is left is to find suspender hardware. I’m hoping to find some in Traverse City next week. If not, I have a few online sources to try.

Inkle weaving pt. 6

I’m almost finished. I’m on the last little bit and the warp problems have compounded. I knew they were a bit twisted at the back but naively thought they would stay at the end. They have been slowly creeping forward to my weaving area so I decided to pull the warp off carefully and begin untwisting things. I really should have left well alone. Every time I add a few rows of weft I have to take it out and untwist another set of threads that I crossed while trying to fix it. Next time, I’m following the recommend plan of attack-cut and tie new colors in. I saw one video where the weaver just dropped one color, picked up another, drop that color, picked up the first, etc, no cutting, just wrapping. I love to reduce or eliminate waste where I can, this method seemed perfect for me, however, at this point I’d rather be done and waste the 20 inches or so. I’m not taking pictures of the mess, which also caused my tension issues. Had I tied things properly, the tension would have been more even than it is.

*sigh*

I’m off to work on the strap, I hope to have pictures tomorrow and then warp my new cricket for some dishcloths.

an edit: After arguing with the warp again, I finally decided to go further back and took out two rows that I had previously left alone. I then took a good look and found 3 more errors with how I lined up the warp around the pegs. It is now fixed and am sailing again.

Macrame

My grandmother-in-law’s husband made this for her while he was recovering from foot surgery after basic training but before deployment during World War II.

Chickens and decreasing daylight

We’ve been experimenting with extending the day for our chickens so they will continue to lay throughout the winter. It’s far from a huge success. We seem to get an average of one egg a day so we’re changing it up a bit. We had been turning a light on before sunup and again before dusk. We’re going to try turning it on only before sunup, around 4:30 am. I don’t think turning it on in the evening helps because they already know dark has arrived.

Wasted day

I had great plans for today, I wanted to finish my weaving project, work on another audio project, dye my hair, and plan next month’s craft projects. I managed to dye my hair. It needed to be done, my natural color is beginning to fade and I’m not ready for the next natural to gain a foothold. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for goals . . .

Cricket

I swear I wasn’t intending to collect looms. I looked at the Cricket when I was looking at looms and decided it was too limited. I settled on the big sister to the Cricket and changed my mind yet again when a great deal fell in my lap for my 32″ Kromski Harp. I hadn’t planned on the inkle loom until I realized it could double as a small warping board as well. Last night a very good deal fell in my lap and I have a Cricket on its way to me. I’m hoping to keep smaller projects on it like dishcloths and little things like that. I’d also like to teach Boo to weave on it. He absolutely loves to sit on my lap with the big loom but it’s just too big for his little arms. If all goes well, he and I will start weaving on it on Tuesday.

Deathly Hallows the final installment

Since Boo arrived we haven’t been to many movies, the final two Harry Potter movies were no exception. Instead, we have purchased them on DVD and watched them at home. I purposefully avoided rereading the books because I could no longer appreciate the movies when compared with the original works. I find that to be true of most books that become movies. Tonight we started watching DH2. So far it’s better than expected.

Inkle weaving progress

I finally have pictures of the progress. Until today I didn’t feel like I had enough weaving to show.

The current finished band is about 27 inches long and I think I have enough yarn left to make a second one if I’m careful. I’m hoping to find suspender hardware in a child’s size and turn these into a pair of suspenders for Boo.

Inkle weaving pt 4

With moments stolen thought the day, I was able to weave more than 15 inches. I have discovered that as the band lengthens, I have a tendency to pull the weft in tighter. I have a few places where the pattern is not as clearly defined as I would like but after ripping back several times, I have come to the conclusion that it is most likely a result of too much tension on a few warp threads. Unfortunately, I can’t rewarp it at this point and the band is too small for me to hang washers or stuff paper in to fix it. I had hoped to be finished with the band today but ran out of time. Stay tuned tomorrow, I hope to have a few pictures if there’s bright sunlight tomorrow.