I’ve had this blog since 2007 and one of my favorite topics to write about is this blog. I am fascinated by the versatility of WordPress. I admit that once my little guy arrived, a bit over a year ago, I stopped caring much about how many posts per month I wrote. At the minimum, I’ve written at least one every month because I don’t want to see months missing on my archive page. Back to blogging, once I found the Fantastic Flowery 1.2 theme, I stopped looking and changing behind the scenes of this blog. I’m in the process of setting up a second blog which I was forced to start at WP3.0.1. That in and of itself isn’t a problem, it’s just that I haven’t looked at how themes function, what plugins are available to download through WP instead of a separate download and an ftp/ssh up to my host. While I was dearly attached to each plugin I used, I’ve found that there are better options today. This list is basically a comparison of what I’m using on this site versus what I’m using on the new site. I’ll start installing new ones here and deleting old ones that seem to function better.
Plugins I’m using
- Akismet-spam catcher
- Article Templates-default templates for posts/pages like my signature file
- CyStat-statistics plugin
- Exec-PHP let’s me easily pop code into posts and not break things
- Fast Secure Contact Form
- Feed Pauser-let’s me post live but not the feed
- Smart 404-tries to redirect user if webpage is not available because of typo or other error
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin-I had to tweak this one a lot, so I’m on the lookout for something else
Plugins I’m trashing
- Blix Archive-replaced 3 plugins with one new one
- Compact Archive-replaced 3 plugins with one new one
- Simple Yearly Archive-replaced 3 plugins with one new one
- Batch Categories-no longer available?
- Blog Copyright (by BTE)-I can tweak my copyright statement with the theme I chose
- Dday-it was less than ideal
- Favicon Manager
- Now Reading-I can’t be bothered to keep up with it, I may still use it for craft books
Plugins I’m replacing
- All in one Favicon-pops in favicon code, replaced Favicon Manager
- Batch Cat-replaces Batch Categories, it lets me update categories for multiple posts
- Smart Archives Reloaded-one replaces three without any tweaking. I had to tweak the others so much that I’m not sure how much they still resembled the original
- The Events Calendar-replaced Dday
Plugins that are new idea for me
- After the deadline-a spell check grammar check of sorts
- Bulk Post Creator-one text box, each new post is on a new line, a lot of drafts started in once clikc
- WordPress.com Stats-I used this before and I’m trying it again
- Twitter-I have a bunch downloaded but not active, I need to update my twitter feed and see if I like any of these.
I would not have found any of the new plugins until the old ones stopped working or broke my theme. I think I’m going to put it on my calendar at least twice a year-check for new plugins. How do I know what I need if I don’t know I need it? Obviously if my plugin stops working, I need a different one, but what about one new archive plugin to replace three old ones? Would I have known to look for that? Did I know I wanted to create blog posts in bulk? I know now because I’ve already mapped out my topics for this month so that I stand a chance at actually completing NaBloPoMo.
What plugins do you use? What can’t you live without?