If I could explain even a quarter of the random thoughts that go running through my head, I would think I was absolutely brilliant and others would stop looking at me as if I were a little, well, anyway. The other day Jason and I were talking about Smurfs, why I cannot say. We attempted to name as many as we could and named several. Tonight, while looking for a movie to rent, I found Season One, Disk One of the Smurf cartoon series, as well as disk two. I only rented Disk One and we watched several of the episodes, which then caused us to look up Smurf names on the ‘net. The best list I found was at BlueBuddies.com, but even the list there seems to be limited. There also seems to be some confusion among the names due to cultural differences. The Smurfs have different names in Europe than the United States.Off the tops of our heads we came up with:
- Dreamy (also called Astro in one episode)
- Vanity (we could remember his character, but not his name)
Smurfs we forgot (according to BlueBuddies)
- Clockwork Smurf
- Clockwork Smurfette
- Dabbler (who was also Doctor Smurf)
- Hefty (though we remembered a strong Smurf)
- Nat aka Natural
- Nobody/Somebody (apparently he thought he was a nobody, until he discovered he was a somebody)
- Sickly – may also be Sneezy
- Timid (who became Actor)
Other Smurfs we forgot according to another website: (I’m hesitant to list it because it uses Smurf in its domain name, it apparently violates a current trademark to do this.)
- Architect -haven’t seen this one listed anywhere else
From yet another site, with random explanations of who is who and why
- Cobbler – not listed anywhere else
Wiki indicates that we forgot:
- Enamored – he’s in love with Smurfette
- Reflection-Vanity’s Double
- Sleepy (I thought he was a dwarf, seriously, may be an alternate name for Lazy)
- There are many more listed that appear only in the comic books, so I have not listed them.
Other characters we rememberd:
- Father Time
- Mother Nature
Others we forgot about:
- Hogatha (how could I forget that nose?)
- Random animal friends
I only recognize half of the list of names I couldn’t remember, I’ll have to set about watching the episodes. I’m half tempted to sign up for Netflix or something like that so I can make a list of what I want to see and let them send them to me so I actually see what I want, instead of the haphazard method I currently use. This list is far less than the 100 Smurfs that supposedly exist, so I’ll put it on my list to find more names.
Random facts uncovered:
Three apples high is a apparently a French phrase that means child-sized. I still think those are some huge mushrooms for them to find to use as houses.
While searching for Smurf names, I found a Smurf name generator. In various forms, I used to be Wise Smurf, but am now Sparkle or Cupcake. I am slightly partial to Sparkle or Wise. Someone else’s Smurf name may or may not be Marshmallow Smurf. According to the Smurf personality quiz, I’m Painter-creative, passionate, and imaginative.
I also found a smurftastic site that smurfarizes websites. I shall now share with you. Here is some of the text from the smurfarazation:
- Apparently there is smurfily a book with the title of this month entering like a smurfy cat with a mane, which happened to match the title of the post I made a few days ago.
- Someone else wanted to find instructions that would not cost anything that would result in using two pointy sticks and string to make a smurfy object to place on the head of a young Baby Smurf of the female persuasion, and it should be ornate.
- There was smurfily one that was smurfily rather inappropriate, obviously I wonâ€™t repeat it, but I am simply amazed that the words that smurfs put together to find smut. Smurftastic! I would not have put those words together to search for that, but it is smurfily clear what the intended result was smurfily based on the word choice.
In which I wonder if I should start a music podcast for knitters listen to while knitting. I would of course, have to talk a little bit to make it a legitimate podcast. The new title:
To smurfcast or not to smurfcast
My smurfy thoughts on smurfcasting:
- Some of the knitters I listen to are smurfily flighty, they seem perfectly lovely, just very odd.
- I donâ€™t agree with all of the politics espoused
- I appreciate fowl language less and less with time
- There appeared to be a smurfcast of music to listen to while knitting
I donâ€™t know if that smurfcast is smurfily missed or not, but how fun would it be to create smurfes of podsafe music for knitters, with a genre as the title for each episode. I have some extra websmurf space and bandwidth, but it would have to be a trial period thing, I would imagine that most smurfcasters contract the dreaded podfade due to over commitment of time and not enough resources.
And so, after spending 3 hours on Smurf research, feeling as though I have found enough, I say goodnight.
April 29, 2008: I lost the image I had associated with this, I had grabbed a screen capture of this post in my blog in the Smuf language. When I find time, I may redo it.